Almost on a daily basis we are met with new social media opportunities that promise a completely new way of interacting, blogging, socializing, sharing and so on.
And once in a while, one of those new ventures sticks and becomes a success. This is the case with Pinterest – a website that lets you create inspirational sets by pinning images from around the web.
So how can this be beneficial to a blogger?
People are visual beings. It is no news that we love looking at and drawing inspiration from beautiful images, which is exactly why creating your own universe of images on Pinterest can spark an interest and attract more readers your way. So how do you go about getting visitors with the help of Pinterest?
How to use Pinterest
- When creating boards, always keep a specific topic and purpose in mind. That way, you provide personalized inspiration to others, increasing the chance of getting ‘repins’ and new followers.
- Search for pins under subjects that are of interest to you. Follow Pinterest users who have pinned these and have quality pins on their boards.
- Follow tastemakers and influnetials who follow you. You’ll automatically ‘Follow All’ boards of this specific user, but you can unfollow the boards that are not of interest to you.
- “Like” or ‘’repin’’ items that you find interesting and that you think your followers will value. This action will show up on the sidebar of the user whose pin you’ve liked or repined. It will also send an email notification to the user, permitting he or she hasn’t turned it off.
- ‘Pin/Repin’ rather than ‘like’. There is a difference between the two. When you ‘pin’ or ‘repin’ something it will be shown on the front page of the people who follow you. ‘Like’ will not.
- Use the comment section to spike a conversation. Ask a question. Make people think and respond!
- Make sure to pin images that aren’t small thumbnail-like size. No one likes super small images.
- Use beautiful images in your posts to get the attention and make people ‘repin’. The more repins you get, the more opportunity you’ll have for people to click on the your link.
- Tweet / Facebook / Google+ your pins to attract more followers on Pinterest.
- Don’t just pin your own images, create beautiful, interesting and valuable sets by using images from all sorts of websites.
- Pin regularly!
Use Pinterest to promote your product
If you have a webshop, a website full of pictures, or use your site to sell different items, Pinterest can be used as a place where you can promote your items. For instance, Shopbop, a webshop specializing in designer goods, uses their Facebook page to promote their Pinterest account, which is full of sets of the latest trends, new designers, must-have items and such.
In this way, Pinterest is a lot better than Facebook, as Pinterest is a more natural place to post photos and create sets consisting of items, whether they’re for sale or not. Shopbop thus lets its followers learn about this season’s must-have dresses, and at the same time, promotes the items from their webshop.
You can check out who has pinned images from your site by using the following link http://pinterest.com/source/fashionstyleadvice.com/ – this link is for my site, but you can easily change the URL to view yours.
Make it easier for your readers to share your images by adding a WordPress plugin that lets you attach a ‘Pin It’ button to the bottom of each post. Write your own description and choose a photo that will automatically appear when people click the “pin it” button.
For your personal pinning, I recommend downloading a ‘Pin it’ widget to your browser that lets you pin from around the web easily and in no time.