On this site I document all the important lessons I learn along my blogging journey. This includes everything from practical tips on how to start, to creating content and attracting visitors, to advice on how to learn and optimise your working habits.
I’ve collected all my lessons learned below. Not all the same lessons may apply to your blogging, but I still hope you’ll enjoy my thoughts. I’m continuously learning so this page will be regularly updated with all the latest tips and advice.
Good luck blogging!
- The fear of publishing your first post
- Your first post will most probably suck!
- Planning to start? Don’t plan it, just go for it!
- How to find a topic
- How to name your site
- How to find a domain name
- How to select your title and description
- Starting a food blog
- Starting a fashion blog
- A website or a blog?
- Blog for free or self-host?
- Who will read my content?
- The difference between posts and pages
- The difference between categories and tags
- Should I separate my blog from my website or keep them together?
- I don’t want to pick a specific niche, I want to have a broad topic
- One blog – Two topics
- On Medium, Branch, Svbtle, Quora… and the many blogging choices
- Should I write in English or in my first language?
- Should I write as myself or be anonymous?
- Beware of the best blogging practices
- Must-haves when starting your site
- Settings I always adjust as soon as I install new WordPress
- Additional optimization steps for your new WordPress site
- How to write headlines that make people click
- How to create an immersive experience
- Is long form content the new form content?
- Thoughts on writing timeless posts and post bylines
- Why your most popular posts come from the most simplified places
- How to put your best posts back into the spotlight
- Blogging consistency and keeping a regular posting frequency
- Don’t be a slave to your content calendar
- How to tap into your visitors need for new information
- How ideas spread: A 6-step plan for creating something big
- Elements of writing style [Infographic]
- Writing lessons learned from Stephen King’s On Writing [Infographic]
- Tips on finding your writing muse from Neil Young
- Ernest Hemingway’s rules of writing
- Why procrastination is good for your writing
- Writing tips to stop censoring your creative output
- Language rules when writing your articles
- How to craft Groupon’s signature write-ups – copywriting do‘s and don‘ts
- Do you find yourself reading an article but forgetting what you have read?
- Starting is not the end, it’s the beginning
- How to raise yourself from failure to success
- Do you have the attitude of a great blogger?
- Go to bed closer to your goals than you were when you woke up
- Blogology – How to become an expert from experience
- Different types of bloggers – which one are you?
- Are you a consumer or a producer?
- How to become an incredibly productive blogger
- How to complete a work of art
- How to become a more productive writer [Infographic]
- How to keep your site active while on holiday
- My week in blogging
- Digital downtime and the art of blogging
- Cool apps that assist me in blogging
- How to blog on an iPad
- Master the art of blogging remotely
- Blogging on the go
- Apps to use to get more out of Twitter
- How to design your blog
- How to build your brand
- The blogger’s guide to responsive design
- Brand your site with an eye-catching header graphic
- Tips to speed up your page load time
- Most downloaded free WordPress themes ever
- Most downloaded WordPress plugins ever
- Plugins that I currently use on my site and why you should use them too
- I want to change my site design but not sure how
- Thinking out of the “text is king” blogging box
- How to edit pictures for your blog
- How to use images to style your posts
- How to create GIF images
- To blog or to vlog?
- Image editing for bloggers: What to do when the picture turns out bad
- How Gary Vaynerchuk built a multi-million dollar empire around a video blog
- Best practices for keeping your WordPress site safe
- Simple steps to make your WordPress more secure
- How to deal with attempts to log into your WordPress Dashboard
- From 0 To 700.000 Visitors: Traffic Driving Lessons Learned
- How to get your first 500 visitors
- How one comment can bring you 230+ unique visitors
- Will my old posts remain forever unseen?
- How to use the year-end to increase your blog traffic
- Lessons from The Daily Mail traffic growth
- The journey of a successful post (Infographic)
- How I got two consecutive record breaking traffic days
On social media
- Why you should NOT make too many Social Media profiles
- How to get your first 500 Twitter followers [Infographic]
- How to get the best out of Twitter
- How I got my post retweeted by @problogger, @GuyKawasaki and 250 more
- How to get more likes on Facebook
- How to get your content in more Facebook news feeds
- Facebook marketing: 5 tips for effective wall post writing
- Mastering the art of Facebook “likes”: 45 sites, 100K+ articles, 40M+ reactions
- Pinterest: How to use pinning when blogging
- Simple steps to increase traffic via StumbleUpon
- Reasons why Mashable rules the social media
- WordPress SEO guidelines from Google’s Matt Cutts
- The big SEO, content marketing, social media and PR merge
- Lessons from SEO ranking factors 2012
- How to integrate Google Authorship to your blog
- Link internally to increase page views, improve usability and Google rankings
- How I got my site from Google PageRank 0 to PR4 in two months
- Optimize link juice flow to improve Google rankings
- Do not worry about SEO, just concentrate on your readers
On guest posting
- Can you give me some advice on guest posting?
- Alarming trend in guest post submissions
- How to get your guest post featured at biggest blogs
- How to earn your first $500
- Strategic blogging: How to be smart, not stupid
- How to create an online store
- Why you should use the purchase cycle when creating your content
- How blogging can help you get a job
- How to publish your site in the Kindle Store
- Make your site a side business, problogging comes later
- Living the pro-blogger lifestyle by selling you the blogging dream
- How I monetize my blog with Thesis Theme affiliate program
- Create a media kit to attract advertisers to your blog
- Why using banner ads limits your blog’s income potential
- How NOT to make money with your blog
- Ways how NOT to run a blog consulting freelance business