On this site I document all the important lessons I learn along my blogging journey. This includes everything from practical tips on how to start, to creating content and attracting visitors, to advice on how to learn and optimise your working habits.
I’ve collected all my lessons learned below. Not all the same lessons may apply to your blogging, but I still hope you’ll enjoy my thoughts. I’m continuously learning so this page will be regularly updated with all the latest tips and advice.
- The fear of publishing your first post
- How to find a topic
- How to find a domain name
- Starting a food site
- Starting a fashion site
- A website or a blog?
- Post on a free site or self-host?
- I don’t want to pick a specific niche, I want to have a broad topic
- Should I write in English or in my first language?
- Beware of the best blogging practices
- Must-haves when starting your site
- 14 things to do after starting a new WordPress site
- How to write headlines that make people click
- How to create an immersive experience
- Is long form content the new form content?
- Thoughts on writing timeless posts and post bylines
- Why your most popular posts come from the most simplified places
- How to put your best posts back into the spotlight
- Blogging consistency and keeping a regular posting frequency
- How to tap into your visitors need for new information
- How ideas spread: A 6-step plan for creating something big
- Elements of writing style [Infographic]
- Writing lessons learned from Stephen King’s On Writing [Infographic]
- Tips on finding your writing muse from Neil Young
- Ernest Hemingway’s rules of writing
- Why procrastination is good for your writing
- Writing tips to stop censoring your creative output
- Language rules when writing your articles
- How to craft Groupon’s signature write-ups – copywriting do‘s and don‘ts
- Do you find yourself reading an article but forgetting what you have read?
- How to raise yourself from failure to success
- Do you have the attitude of a great blogger?
- Go to bed closer to your goals than you were when you woke up
- Blogology – How to become an expert from experience
- Different types of bloggers – which one are you?
- Are you a consumer or a producer?
- How to become a more productive writer [Infographic]
- How to keep your site active while on holiday
- My week in blogging
- Digital downtime and the art of blogging
- Cool apps that assist me in blogging
- How to post on iOS
- Master the art of blogging remotely
- Apps to use to get more out of Twitter
- How to design your site
- How to build your brand
- Brand your site with an eye-catching header graphic
- Tips to speed up your page load time
- Most downloaded free WordPress themes ever
- Most downloaded WordPress plugins ever
- I want to change my site design but not sure how
- Thinking out of the “text is king” blogging box
- How to use images to style your posts
- How to create GIF images
- To blog or to vlog?
- How Gary Vaynerchuk built a multi-million dollar empire around video
- From 0 To 700.000 Visitors: Traffic Driving Lessons Learned
- How to get your first 500 visitors
- How one comment can bring you 230+ unique visitors
- How to use the year-end to increase your traffic
- Lessons from The Daily Mail traffic growth
- The journey of a successful post (Infographic)
On social media
- Why you should NOT make too many Social Media profiles
- How to get your first 500 Twitter followers [Infographic]
- How to get more likes on Facebook
- Pinterest: How to use pinning when blogging
- Simple steps to increase traffic via StumbleUpon
- Reasons why Mashable rules the social media
- WordPress SEO guidelines from Google’s Matt Cutts
- The big SEO, content marketing, social media and PR merge
- How to integrate Google Authorship
- Link internally to increase page views, improve usability and Google rankings
- How I got my site from Google PageRank 0 to PR4 in two months
- Do not worry about SEO, just concentrate on your readers
On guest posting
- How to earn your first $500
- Strategic blogging: How to be smart, not stupid
- How to create an online store
- Why you should use the purchase cycle when creating your content
- How blogging can help you get a job
- How to publish your site in the Kindle Store
- How to get started with affiliate marketing
- Create a media kit to attract advertisers
- Why using banner ads limits your income potential
- Ways how NOT to run a consulting freelance business