When it comes to blogging, fashion is probably one of the most covered topics. It seems as though, every person with a slight interest in fashion, has a site. Girls down to age of 12 are blogging, and in some cases even becoming front row material sitting next to giants like Anna Wintour at the biggest fashion shows.
So what’s so great about being a fashion blogger? Other than the fact that you often get sent clothes and makeup for review and get invited to fun fashion events, blogging is a great way to get your foot into an industry that is so hard to get in that most give up half way through. So if you’re dreaming of making it in this industry, this is a great way to start!
So how is it exactly that you start a fashion site? Not only start but how do you differentiate yourself in the sea of fashion sites? How do you make your own stand out? This article will take you through the step-by-step process of creating a successful fashion site.
My own fashion blogging background
Like with everything else in life, in order to stand out from the crowd, you need to bring something special to the table. For many fashion bloggers, it’s their personality and style. In my case, it was the opposite. It was the fact that I brought general fashion advice to women of all ages – something not many fashion bloggers focus on.
With an academic background in communications and media, I combined my two greatest passions in the world into the work on my site. For me, blogging became a way to practice the theories I learned at university in order to drive traffic, which is today read by more than 50,000 monthly readers, and at the same time, nourish my love for all things fashion.
I credit the success of my fashion site to the fact that I blog about a topic I love, that I practice in my daily life, and have a deep knowledge on. This gives me blogging confidence and the will to keep going in the sometimes difficult day-to-day blogging.
Starting your own fashion site
The simplest part of the whole process of creating a successful fashion website is actually starting. WordPress, the most popular platform, is very intuitive, easy to use and start working with. It takes you about 5 minutes with no prior experience needed to start a website.
You just have to figure out what you want to name your domain name first and then you are ready for the starting process. Go for something catchy, but something that lets the reader know what your site is about. This will let your readers know that you’re serious about blogging, and not ’just another fashion blog’
WordPress software itself has to be run on a hosting server. Having your own hosting provider means that you own your site and have the full control in terms of how it looks and feels, and have free hands to do whatever you want with it. I recommend Bluehost as your host. It supports a one-click start process, where you get a domain name for free and a hosting account at a good price.
Take a look at this video guide for my step-by-step instructions.
Fashion Blogging 101
When your fashion site has been setup these are some of the things you should be aware of and follow in order to achieve success with your blogging:
- Take great photos – pictures are one of the most essential parts of fashion blogging. Ordinary girls are looking like photo models today thanks to great cameras and editing software.
- Write about celebrity style – a lot of girls and women look up to the celebrities and dream of dressing like them and are looking to bloggers for advice.
- Use approachable clothing – Inspire people with your outfits (whether you’re wearing them or displaying them in sets like I am), but make sure that the clothes you use are fairly affordable, so your readers can identify with you.
- Write frequently and write good. Give people tips and tell them stories, while you do it.
- DIY projects are always a hit – women love being creative, so teach them how!
- Don’t let your fashion site become one big advertisement – be picky when it comes to samples you’re sent for review. People get easily bored of looking at sponsored ads and articles.
- 100% original content – one huge mistake some fashion bloggers make is copy other bloggers’ work. That’s easy to spot and the readers will head on to the next fashion blogger in line!
- Shanon from Kiss My Fashion recommends: “Set aside a certain day of the week or time of day that you will dedicate to blogging and upload posts on a regular basis. I shoot for three a day but most bloggers shoot for four a week. If you are unsure of anything or you need a second opinion, ask a friend! My number one advice though is to have fun! Write posts about stuff that interests you and in a language that will keep your readers entertained!”
Befriend Other Fashionistas
As previously mentioned, there are a lot of fashion sites out there. Get to know your competition. Befriend the enemy, some would say. The thing is, the more blogger friends you have, the more you will learn from them. Some of the best friends I have today, I met through blogging! By socializing with them, leaving comments on their sites, writing guest posts and having guest posters on your site, you’ll gain more friends and readers. Fashion industry is a tough one to get into and be in.
Ever seen The Devil Wear Prada? But that’s not the case with the fashion blogging world I know. People are actually friendly, helpful and nice! So get out there and start mingling! Whatever you do stay focused on the goal. The readers may not start coming in masses right away, but persistence pays off.
Milana Saric posts about fashion at Tasty Pretty Things.