People start blogs for many different reasons: to show their passion for food, to showcase new designs or artwork, to expose the world to musings about everyday life, or even to acquire a viable source of income.
A major problem of failing sites is not knowing how to use and manipulate the content to their website to their advantage. Internet writing is so much more different than print writing, and you have to accomplish so many different tasks when you are writing content for your site if you want it to be successful.
Regardless of the reason, one thing that everyone wants out of their site is for their content to be read by as many people as possible. Knowing how to make your content work for you is a matter of knowing your site’s purpose and keeping the modern reader in mind.
Web vs. print writing
The key to web writing is to keep it short and punchy. Get to the point as fast as you can. The web reader is turned off by large blocks of gray text. You could be able to write as eloquently as Mark Twain, but if you don’t get to the point your talent is lost on your readers.
Interesting facts about Internet readers:
- 79% of Internet readers scan pages instead of reading every word.
- Only 16% of readers read every word.
- Most web readers only absorb 75% of your page’s content, even if they read the entire page.
This is because reading on a screen is slower than reading on paper. To make your content work for you, keep it short and keep it informative.
How to write effectively for the internet
- Know who you are writing for – If you want to bring your traffic in from search engines, what keywords do you want to use? Do you know what kind of person will be searching for those keywords? What is their knowledge of the topic?
- Pick a good title – In any form of writing content for websites, a catchy title is a great way to get readers interested. Make sure it conveys the message you want your content to show. It also wouldn’t hurt to include a few key words in it.
- Plan your content – If you are wanting to write a post about the best ways to start an online retail business, you would need to write pages and pages to cover the topic thoroughly. Instead, plan for multiple posts on the topic. Link the pages together to create an article series. This will make your readers return for new information.
- Linking – The Internet is a huge place and you can’t be expected to have all of the information on one page. Don’t be afraid to link away from your site. If you can link your readers to new useful information each time they read your content, they will return to find out where the best information is.
- Don’t be afraid to engage your readers – A key to making your content work for you is making sure your readers come back. At the end of each post ask for your readers to comment with their thoughts on your post, direct them to your RSS or Twitter feed. Just do something that will make them feel involved with your writing.
Do you think these tips will help you in your search to learn how to make your content work for you? What ideas do you think will help?
A guest post by Corry Cummings.