In this post I will take a look at the WordPress plugins, widgets and other tools that you can activate and do to improve the user experience of your visitors, improve the overall usability of your site and make the content more sticky. When your site usability is great and your content is sticky it means that your visitors love your blog and stay on it for a longer period of time, they also regularly come back and share it with their family, friends and networks through social media and word of mouth.
Sticky content refers to content which holds the attention of the visitor and gets him or her to spend longer periods of time on the site. And this is what the key is in creating a big following and a loyal following. Altogether these are all the ingredients that all the bloggers are on the look out for as together they combine into a powerful blog. Below are the most important things to look at in terms of usability and stickiness.
Use these for better usability and stickiness
- Popular Posts plugin – This plugin lets you put links to your most popular posts in your sidebar. It can for example display a list of the posts which have been viewed the most or which have been commented on the most. There are several of these plugins available and they all do the job really so do try couple of them and see how they feel to you.
- Recent Posts widget - This widget comes with WordPress by default and displays a list of the most recent blog posts. You can for example put this in your sidebar and hopefully attract some of the visitors to click on one of the headlines and visitor more of your pages.
- Recent Comments widget – This widget displays a list of the most recent blog visitor comments to your blog. Just another way to create a better community feeling around your site and hopefully get more people to read the comments but also get more people to write comments to your posts.
- Related Posts plugin – This plugin displays a list of posts which are related or similar to the current post that the visitor is reading. You can also make it display the thumbnail images which makes it all nicer to look at. The links are placed at the end of the post and you can see this in action on my site just above the comments area. For this like for the popular posts plugin there are so many different options. Best thing again is to explore few of them and see what works best and fits best with your site.
- Internal links – One of the things that many bloggers forget or neglect is adding internal links to older content in their newer posts. This is such an easy way of getting more page views and stickiness. Make sure to take few minutes to add some internal links before you publish a new piece of content.
All in all if you implement these tools they will help you keep the users stick on your site by giving them choices to click to your most recent, most relevant or most popular content. WordPress has quite a big list of other plugins that can do even more to your blog so do take some time to explore the different options and try them out to see if they help make your blog more sticky.
These tools work well when you integrate them with Google Analytics. When I say integrate I mean that you have the analytics installed first of all and that you regularly monitor the data it gives you and that you then work on improving your site according to the data you have learned.