I want you to have a great year in blogging in the year 2013. If you are not happy with your performance and results in 2012, if you want to improve and become better in 2013, here is my best advice on how to create better content, grow your traffic, and turn your efforts into more than just a hobby and maybe even into a real business.
How to make 2013 your best year yet
- Be open-minded. Doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results will not work, said Albert Einstein. Same thing applies in the blogging world. To grow you’ve got to change your attitude towards blogging. Open your mind to doing things differently and seeing things differently.
- Get a professional mindset. If you have serious goals with your site, you must be serious about your site. Choose a domain name instead of having a free domain name, have a nice design instead of a generic design and spend a lot of time and effort on your content continuously over a longer period of time.
- Start publishing regular content. Create a post schedule and stick to it – i.e. two posts per week. Fresh content gives life to your site and fresh content continuously builds a momentum and grows you an audience that follows you and expects to hear from you regularly.
- Focus your content. Identify your target group and what you want them to achieve by interacting with and spending time on your site. Then focus all your content on them and that goal. This will make it easier to build an audience, monetize and attract sponsors.
- Focus the front page and navigation. The content you focus on shouldn’t be hard to find for your first time visitors. Use static landing pages, sticky posts and link to landing pages from your navigation menu. This way you will convert more first time visitors into regular visitors, subscribers and/or customers.
- Personalize. Show your face in your sidebar, tell your story in the about page, create videos where you talk to viewers directly, put yourself into your content – your personality makes your content stand out so make sure to use your personality as much as possible.
- Share insights. Too many bloggers just share things that are already out there, you need to add value in your content. Go deeper than the rest, analyse more, share more thoughts and opinions. Don’t just report on what’s out there like everyone else does.
- Get inspired. Subscribe to websites, magazines and newspapers with topics that interest you and read a lot. Figure out what they do that makes you excited about them and incorporate that into your own content and into your own work.
- Plug yourself. You must actively promote your work wherever you can. Reach out and connect to new people daily and turn them into visitors. Your time should be spent 50% on creating content and the other 50% on spreading that content. Read: how to get 500 visitors.
- Analyse the stats. Use software like Google Analytics to analyse the stats about your visitors, about your referrals and about your content. Then do more of the things that work, and eliminate the things that don’t to optimise the time and get more out of your efforts.
- Think business. Find ways to turn visitors and the time you spend on your site into an income. Consider affiliate deals, consider creating your own products, consider accepting advertising banners. Read: earn $500 in revenue.
- Never give up. Blogging is about performing consistently day in and day out and taking small steps over a longer period of time. Don’t give up after few weeks if it doesn’t work very well, keep working and slowly you will start getting results.
Here’s to 2013 – make it your best blogging year yet!